I just ran 9 miles tonite (yes, keep the applause coming…dont stop…keep it comin…ok that’s good). I was supposed to do it this wkend, but torential downpour kept me from it. I was fully prepared to SKIP it this week and just keep on moving, but DARLING HUBBY (hint of sarcasm?) offered to come home early so I could get my looooong run in. What a giver. Ha. So, how could I blow it off…so as I suited up I said a prayer that it would be a great time for God to teach me and remind me of some things He’s been trying to get me to hear. So, for you, I give you 9 miles worth of key thoughts He gave me.
1) There are 2 things our kids need from us that we as parents often overlook: security and safety. To achieve security we have to implement boundaries. Not just fake warnings ("if you do that ONE more time, I’m gonna…"), but real true boudaries of obedience that we expect and enforce. To achive feeling safe, kids need us to love them. We need to show love as Christ loves us…despite our screw ups. I was listening to Chip Ingram on podcast on part of run.
2) I love clouds. As far back as I can remember, my grandma would always try to spot shapes in the clouds. It makes me smile to remember that.
3) My dog is a psycho-neurotic-freak. Yes. He’s beyond needy. I am overwhelmed by his neediness. But he makes me smile…especially when I inhale dog hairs and see dognose smudges on the car windows.
4) I may not be where I want to be yet…and I may fail DAILY at being the person God wants me to be, but I’m not where I USED TO BE and that is enough. As long as I can keep saying that each day – I’m better than I was yesterday — I"m closer to living a life with integrity and not overrun with image-building, then I’m pretty happy with that.
5) Costco quit carrying Jones Energy drinks and it almost made me cry…I’m having one of those kinda days.
6) I want my daughter to quit growing up. She looks/acts too big…its going by too fast.
7) In the bible, it says a million different things telling all kinds of people how to live – slaves, friends, wives, kings, mothers/fathers, slave-owners. But the only thing is tells children in the bible is to learn how to obey. I am failing them if I dont teach them this NOW. They cannot obey a God they cant see if they cannot obey a parent they can. (Eph 6:1, Col 3:20, 1st Tim 3:4)
8) I want one of those new (RED) tshirts from the Gap that benefit AIDS patients in Africa. Bono rocks.
9) I do secretly (dont tell anyone) love running. Its time alone…just me, my over-pronating knees, my Ipod, and God. Good times. Especially the part about coming home and eating a big ol’ sugar cookie w/icing on top bc I just burned a gazillion calories.
Thanks for caring…its really funny how many things your mind wanders to when you have QUIET time alone…just thinking, listening, and praying. Oh, and for the 10 miler I’ll be sure to add in all the stuff I skipped like: the dead rats, chaffing, the always enthralling jog bra dilemna, vanilla vs. fruit punch – the ultimate battle of recovery drinks, Bebo’s new cd, etc. Oh fun.