Who would’ve guessed a former technical writer and sometimes-blogger would get the itch to write Bible studies? Yea. i know…crazy stuff. Well, that’s where i’ve landed. God has used my love for studying, organizing, designing, and writing to develop four 11-week Bible studies. Each study is written in a similar format: five days of homework intended to be discussed in a small group and an accompanying lecture for each week via podcast. Here’s a sample of one of the lessons.
Below, you’ll find a description of each study. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. i’d love to hear from you.
Gospel of John:
When God Moved into the Neighborhood
Four hundred years. That’s how long it had been since the world had heard from God when the book closed at the end of the Old Testament (Malachi). But then in the “fullness of time” (Galatians 4:4), the scene opens in a new world where God puts skin on and moves into the neighborhood. Through looking deeply into the words of John, we can:
- Meet the hands-on Jesus. John takes us on a journey through Jesus’ life, teaching, miracles, and ultimately, His purpose for putting skin on and jumping into the day-to-day with us. John’s perspective is unique from the other gospels because he was Jesus’ best friend.
- Follow the blueprint. Jesus came to give us the framework for how to live our earthly lives well.
- Respond to the finished work of Jesus. From verse one we learn who Jesus is…the Word made flesh. Through the words of John, we are faced with the purpose of this Gospel: telling the story of salvation through the death, burial, and resurrection of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Nothing But Smoke: A Study of Ecclesiastes
- Is it financial success? A fat bank account, good credit, and frequent flier miles?
- Is it wisdom? Self-help books, podcasts, and heady blog posts?
- Is it pleasure? Happy hours, suburbia block parties, and bounce houses?
King Solomon, the author of Ecclesiastes, owned, possessed, and experienced everything the world had to offer. At the end of his full life, he realized it was all “nothing but smoke.”
The Old Testament wisdom book of Ecclesiastes has been described as the “back door of faith”; it deals with the deepest questions that rip through our souls and don’t always feel welcomed at faith’s front door. Ecclesiastes is honest, gritty realism pointing us to only one conclusion:
Apart from God, there can be no true meaning, joy, or purpose. Everything we chase after is nothing but smoke.
God Reveals | We Respond:
A Study of the Psalms
We are all living a story. All stories travel through conflict and peace, whispers and shouts, pain and joy, speaking and singing. The psalmists recognized God through the entirety of their stories…and they responded in poems, prayers, and songs, sometimes alone, sometimes in community.
In this two-part study we will dig deep into the Psalter (the collection of 150 individual psalms) and focus on how:
- God reveals. We will study the background and history of the Psalms. We will examine the conditions in which they were written and presented to God. And most importantly, we’ll experience how God uses this collection of poems, prayers, and songs to reveal Himself to us.
- We respond. The Psalms were poured out to God in response to real life, real struggle, and real joy…by real people. They are comprehensive and honest in all circumstances. Some are gritty and dark. Some are inspiring and enlightening. All recognize God’s sovereignty. We will use the Psalms as a guide for our responsiveness to God in the ebbs and flows of our lives today.
Showing all 6 results
GOD REVEALS | WE RESPOND: A STUDY OF PSALMS, part 1Read more
GOD REVEALS | WE RESPOND: A STUDY OF PSALMS, part 2Read more
NOTHING BUT SMOKE: A STUDY OF ECCLESIASTESRead more
PAUL’S LETTERS//EPHESIANSRead more
PAUL’S LETTERS//TITUS+PHILEMONRead more
THE GOSPEL OF JOHN: WHEN GOD MOVED INTO THE NEIGHBORHOODRead more